Sunday, February 20, 2011

Hardship in China, and how to survive - Helen Wang

Wang_Helen_HiRes_black_MG_1708Helen Wang
Helen Wang publishes a chapter from her book on de hardship of migrant workers in China's big cities. And how they plan to pull themselves out of this misery, keeping faith in the future.
“Is that what you plan to do—become a manager?” I asked.
“Maybe,” he said. Then he added, “Well, in a few years, I may start my own business. Zhu Guofan encourages us to start our own businesses. He said he would help us. There are many opportunities.”
“Is it hard for you, leaving home and working in a big city like Beijing?” I was still probing for some sign of dissatisfaction or bitterness.
He looked at me, with a sparkle in his eyes, and said, “Only if you endure the hardship of hardships will you become the man above men” (a well-known Chinese saying)...
"When I read the story of a young American woman selling her ova for $7,000 in order to pay off her credit cards, I kept thinking about young women I met in China. They earned about $100 a month, yet saved 80 percent of their incomes to help pay for their siblings’ education."
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: