Friday, September 30, 2011

The economic damage of internet filters - Marc van der Chijs

Marc van der Chijs
The slowdown of China's internet filters is costing internet entrepreneur Marc van der Chijs the equivalent of three working weeks per year, he estimates on his weblog. It hurts the country's international competitiveness.

Marc van der Chijs:
Tonight I was particularly frustrated when I was trying to test a website hosted on Amazon, and each time I was trying to check something the connection timed out. I got so upset that I even tweeted about it. Fellow entrepreneur Alex Duncan then replied with a blog post that he had written out of similar frustration 2 months ago. 
In this post he calculated that at the US multinational he used to work for, the staff spent an average of 30-45 minutes extra per day because of the slow Internet. That means a full 3 weeks of lost productivity (plus added stress and frustration) per year! Can you imagine the macro impact of this in a country like China? Of course only a relatively small number of people regularly uses the foreign Internet, but still the total effect must be huge. 
Alex mentioned that he might eventually consider to leave China because of this. Naturally I have pondered about that as well, but for me the advantages of China generally (still) outweigh the disadvantages of the terrible Internet. But at times I am so frustrated that I can’t wait until my next trip outside the Great Firewall.
More on Marc van der Chijs' weblog


Marc van der Chijs is a speaker at the China Speakers Bureau. Do you need him at your meeting or conference? Do get in touch.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: