Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Bars and bonding, field work in China - Tricia Wang

Tricia Wang
Now and then researcher Tricia Wang gives us a peek into her field work into China's migrant worlds and their usage of internet and mobiles. For example here, from a bar - the living room for many - which turned into a tattoo shop.

Tricia Wang:  
I was hanging out the bar pictured above. After a rock band performed, the stage became a tattoo station. 
I love doing fieldwork in third places. Not only do I get to see all the different ways a space is used throughout a day, it's really easy to find people to talk to. 
Plus at a bar, a few drinks into the night, everyone is willing to talk. Good thing that I have high alcohol tolerance, not that that really matters considering that Chinese beers are the equivalent to water. I don't feel the alcohol but all the people I hang out with do. Makes my work a lot easier! It's more easy to watch who talks to who, who hits on who, and who goes to sleep with who.
More stories on bonding between cooks on a cellphone.

Tricia Wang is a speaker at the China Speakers Bureau. Do you need her at your meeting or conference? 


Do get in touch or fill in our speakers' request from. More on Tricia's Wang research in China's underbelly in Storify.   
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: