Monday, February 13, 2012

Leaving Shanghai pollution behind me - Marc van der Chijs

Marc van der Chijs
I will never set up a company in Shanghai again, promises serial entrepreneur Marc van der Chijs, after he had a look at the polluted Shanghai sky from his apartment. Van der Chijs can move his online ventures, but where should he go to, he wonders on his weblog.


Shanghai Sky (@marcvanderchijs)


Marc van der Chijs:
If you live in Shanghai you know that this is not one of the healthiest cities in the world to live in. Not only does work go on 24/7 here (well, at least when you run your own business), but also the air quality is quite bad. It’s actually so bad that it’s very likely that unitedstyles will be the last company that I set up in China, and that I will eventually move somewhere else. I am sure I will be in China regularly for my investments and other business related issues, but at least I want my family out of here. 
Nobody really knows how bad the pollution is, because the government data seems to be “adjusted” and data for PM2.5 (the smallest, most dangerous, particles) are not released. For sure downtown it’s much worse than out in the suburbs where I live and where unitedstyles has its office. But also there it can’t be too good. I hardly ever run outside where I live, for example, because I feel the air does more harm than sports does good. And if I do, like during the Shanghai marathon, I normally feel it in my throat for several days after the run.
More at Marc van der Chijs' weblog.

Marc van der Chijs is a speaker at the China Speakers Bureau. Do you need him at your meeting or conference? Do get in touch or fill in our speakers' request form.

More on Marc van der Chijs and his online businesses at Storify.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: