Thursday, May 03, 2007

China does not make it on the CPJ-evil list

Today it is the worldwide day of the press freedom, so the tough ordeal journalists have is high on the agenda of many meetings. This morning I was interviewed by the Dutch radio, together with colleagues in Romania and Zimbabwe about the situation in China.
Of course. I was my balanced self, pointing at the lack of freedom among the traditional media and the emerging freedom we do get online. But just mostly, I do not expect those critical NGO's to say to the world, alright, China is not doing that bad. You expected the average load of single-minded propaganda that has to convince the world they need those NGO's.
So, when I got the annual list of bad countries by the Committee to Protect Journalist (CPJ), I was really amazed to see China did not make it into the top-10 of evil countries.
I still have to see what happened here, but for the time being I will be out to honor the day of the press freedom at the journo-drinks at the Cotton Bar at Anting Lu. I might pick up some more news there.

No comments: