Sunday, May 13, 2007

Planning the launch of our spreakers' bureau

Apologies for being a bit slow on posting here these days, but activities on the upcoming launch of our China speakers bureau are heating up in a serious way. The deal with our upcoming US partners is in place and signing of the contracts a formality. We have set June 1 as our preliminary launching data and since that is very close, I'm terribly busy writing a launching plan.
Website, mailing lists, business cards, press releases: all that has to be ready by that date and tomorrow - with my plan as a tool - we have to decide on its feasibility.
In the past, the 1990s before I came to China, I used to do this more often. I was then a reporter for the Dutch trade union magazine, but I was also the back-up for the spokesman of the Transport workers union, officially one of my bosses. I thought this would be a politically incorrect but anyway minor part of my work as a journalist.
How wrong was I. Every time when he left the office for more than a day a major crisis would emerge and I found myself back running the publicity side of national railway strikes. And what was worse: I loved it.
This launch is going to be a minor thing compared to a national railway strike, but the excitement feels similar. Also, this is going to be a test for my new media skills, something unheard of in the 1990s. Much of our marketing will be viral, online. Even in our starting phase I have done some virtual guerrilla marketing, for exampling by mentioning our upcoming China Speakers Bureau every now and then in this weblog: that has worked excellent and in search engine searches on Google in some categories like "China professional speakers" I'm only beaten by the electronics of Alibaba. It has brought us already two major clients.
I will keep following the news, but give you also now and then an update on developments on the corporate front.

No comments: