Tuesday, July 03, 2007

China Daily starts to see Buddha's

Only this morning I explained a Belgium colleague, who relied for his China information too much on the China Daily, that what he was reading was basically the political line of the central government, how critical those articles could be nowadays. And now this (h/t Shanghiist).

It brought back some fine memories on a investigative trip I made in the 1980s as a journalist to Ballinspittle, Ireland where the faithful (of the Catholic denomination) gathered to watch a moving Mary statue.
I wrote down the statements of those - I thought - pretty silly people who had all kinds of explanations for the reasons behind the movements of the virgin Mary. Some, with tears in their eyes, admitted they had not yet seen the statue move and vowed to stay on until they say it happen.
My journalistic work and job as an amateur psychologist then got a nasty twist as I saw the statue move myself. With my friend and photographer Jan Banning we have spent the rest of our stay in Ireland to find an explanation, we never found.
The China Daily still sounds a bit sceptical, but they can see it too.


1 comment:

kattebelletje said...

On the same page of that China Daily article, there is a link under Entertainment & Lifestyle to the story of Cameron Diaz apologizing for a Maoist bag. Highly interested in how the China Daily would report on that incident, I found out the article has disappeared from the website, providing only a "sorry, this page is no longer available" screen.