Saturday, September 15, 2007

A not-so harmonious society - a book plan


When I finished some years ago my book on "The wild East. 15 misunderstandings on China and the Chinese" (only in Dutch and German, you see here the German cover) I vowed I would never write a book again. Not only did I find writing a book a gruesome lonely boring process that did not fit my character, it seemingly offered little advantages. Unless you have a Harry Potter it is certainly not a way to make a living and getting that little bit of money actually paid by European publishers is tougher than getting money out of a Chinese company.
The number of people that actually buy your book is, compared to the impact of activities like this weblog, very low.
What is nice is that in a book you can actually build up an argument, make a point, often better than in short internet entries. And there is of course the vanity factor: publishers know that people love to have a book on their name, even if it does not pay the bills. Some publishing houses actually let authors paid to make maximum use of this vanity factor.
Of course, vanity is no issue for me :-). But this week I had two conversations with publishers who gently pushed me to give the idea of a book a thought. And then without wanting it, the thought-process was triggered off.
Now, by accident I have also been writing a proposal to write a client report for an HR-company on labor issues and these two lines came together this week. The famous labor contract law and the trade union activities at Wal-Mart are both part of Hu Jintao's "Harmonious Society" and so I thought, tying up other elements of Hu's drive for this harmonious society might actually be a good concept for a book. When this client-report works out, I might already have a nice basis.
What is helping too is my current work at Chinabiz Speakers. Maybe few authors can make a living by writing books, but when you can be linked up with a professional speaking circuit, that does make a difference. Selling speakers who have some books on their name proves also to be easier.
Let's ponder a bit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

...and don't forget Fons, I've got a category devoted to China Book authors so look forward to another interview with you!

China Herald said...

Oh, remind me of that again halfway 2008 :-)