Saturday, March 17, 2007

Has Amazon stopped shipping to China?

I'm not really reading a lot of books compared to the past. Mostly I would pick them up at airports, at least that was the case before I could get online in airports and airplanes. But every now and then I would order some at Amazon, especially since a few of the organizations I work for would send me Amazon gift certificates. I still had a US$ worth of vouchers laying around and I thought this was a good opportunity to order The China Fantasy: How Our Leaders Explain Away Chinese Repression and a few others.
Not so. Putting the books in my Amazon-cart was no problem, but when I wanted to check-out, the Amazon computer said they would not ship to my address. No explanation given. By accident I discover at the bottom of the site they now have a China-agent: Joyo.com. They only offer Chinese books, including one I wanted to buy, but I would prefer to order it in the English language, German or Dutch, but rather not Chinese.
I started to write an angry email to the Amazon customer service, but my email was refused. Not because of foul language (although I'm ready to use that now), but because I have not order number. Now that was exactly my problem.
Anyway: similar problems out there, and perhaps solutions too?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

My order of the same book was not refused :)

China Herald said...

Weird. I will try it again.

China Herald said...
This comment has been removed by the author.