Monday, May 14, 2007

Raving reviews for Schaub's book

Mark Schaub

"Again a raving review," yelled my friend, author and lawyer Mark Schaub on the phone earlier this evening. "In the Far Eastern Economic Review by Gordon Chang." Unfortunately, this formerly great magazine is not online, so you have to believe me that I have seen a scanned copy of this combination of dead wood and ink. Since the book makes at least twice fun about Mr. Chang's book, the Upcoming Collapse of China, Mark was pretty relieved most of the review was indeed raving.
Gordon Chang clearly was a bit annoyed ("One day I will have to get even."), but then, it is very hard not to make fun about a book that tells us in 2001 China will collapse within five years, when we are living in 2007 and a collapse looks futher away than ever.
Anyway, I noted many more positive reviews and since Mark Schaub sees because of lack of online activity his own website sinks away in the search engines, I have to show him the power of linking.
Eurobiz of the European Chamber asked Mark himself to write a review. That shows bad judgment on the part of the editors.
Cosmos books calls the book "lively and entertaining", but I seriously doubt whether they have read the book. Also The Beijing Review calls the book "lively and entertaining," so at least it is a spin the media liked. And the Law Librarians Blog call the book, surprisingly, "lively and entertaining".
There is still room for improvement: not too many reviews are online.
Of course I should mention here that Mark Schaub is one of the distinguished speakers in our upcoming China Speakers Bureau. I can assure you from personal observations that his speeches are even more lively entertaining than his book. Do drop me a line, if you have an interest.

No comments: