Saturday, May 05, 2007

Where are the blind in Shanghai?


Huangpi Nanlu Subway station

One of the points where Shanghai really does a very good job compared to other cities I know it in facilitating life for the blind. I'm not blind myself, but have been participating in registering this kind of facilities in Europe, or mostly the lack of facilities.

In Shanghai most pavements, all subway stations and many other place are having these dots and lines (at the picture in the middle) that allow blind to feel with their stick where they are going. Now, of course you can find the odd place where it is also used as a place to park bicycles, but mostly it should work very well. In theory.

Since what I'm missing are the blind people themselves to use this. First, I meet in the city center (compared to other Chinese cities) very seldom blind people and when they are there they do not use the stuff. Maybe somebody should teach them how to use it. Where are they anyway?

2 comments:

yu888 said...

Surprisingly, I HAVE in fact, seen many blind folks during my stay here in Shanghai and as Fons points out, very few of them use the "braille" patterned sidewalks. However, I myst say that i have seen assistants helping what appeared to be a younger blind person learn to use these patterned tiles a few times. Not really sure how it works better than a white cane, but in theory its a nice idea.

Anonymous said...

I am fairly sure the bumps are not to be used with walking sticks.

People I have observed using them (mostly in Tokyo) do not need sticks, since you can feel the different textures on your feet.