Tuesday, July 31, 2007

HK's Donald Duck does not speak proper Chinese


Amy Gu went to Disneyland in Hong Kong and comes back with a useful observation: Donald Duck, the hero of the park, does not speak proper mandering, while many of the visitors come from the mainland. A major cultural issue, of course.

The cartoon Donald Duck looks similar, but we are more familiar with the Chinese voice of Li Yang, instead of the English one or Cantonese one. Especially, for some interactive program, languages become a huge problem and I don't think my friend, who couldn't understand Cantonese, could enjoy the program as it is supposed to be. I remember I went to another theme park in Shenzhen, where my friends and I could enjoy the conversation from staffs and learn the culture from the Mandarin tour guide. But in Disney, I feel nothing.


No comments: